Wednesday 7 October 2020

Claire 2 - Simply For Claire

 


Claire 2 - Simply For Claire

She showed me her dead sister’s poems

They filled an old wooden cabinet

There were hundreds no thousands

Each hand written on paper not typed

 

It was obvious by looking they were skilled

 

The person who wrote them

I’d actually read a few poems

Not these but the ones in the book

The book published by our company

 

It was responsible for the airport

 

They figured publish a book

And print some photos and its fine

The local inhabitants will agree

And move away from their home

 

After being paid double the value

 

Of their land and dwellings

It was a terrific offer the best

For the company were the best

That’s why I worked for them

 

I was the best and got results

 

They sent me to the village

To finalise the sale and all

Just one little home remained

There was a small problem

 

The home owner couldn’t sign

 

Over her house and land

It’s not that she didn’t want to

Or was out of town

She was dead killed outright

 

It was a car crash and that was that

 

Her sister was now in charge

Of the affairs and estate

Maybe she planned it or not

I can’t say but hey

 

What do I really know?

 

I could’ve easily got her squiggle

On the three forms and then moved onwards

The airport would’ve been built

State of the art and much needed

 

Tens of thousands of flights a year

 

Multiple millions of passengers

It was an awesome project

Designed by the best

But those poems were simply…

 

…I cannot describe them

 

Or how I felt then or even now

It’s like Mark Twain's dead artist girl

Emmeline Grangerford in Huckleberry Finn

She was alive in her paintings

 

Something happened and I stalled

 

Maybe it was a job too far

Or the girl from beyond her grave

Or simply her poems

Or maybe I was human

 

Or maybe her alive sister

 

And not killing a pretty village

Ruining their lives completely

What the fuck do I know?

I work in Real Estate and all that

 

My company is a Forbes Top Ten

 

But the dead gal’s sister sadly smiled

She passed me nine thousand poems

The house keys and full deeds

And said it’s all mine

 

And she gave herself to me too

 

I’m not greedy and need nothing

I’m not money orientated

I close deals and am the best

But I couldn’t close this

 

Her sister the poems the house

 

And the date we both had

And following marriage and kids

Cost me my career and reputation

But that never mattered

 

What mattered was a dead gal

 

And the poems she did

I fell in love with her

She’s gone but her sis Rosa is here

She intuitively understands

 

All of it so damn much

 

I think I do

Do you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.