Saturday 19 August 2017

When I Was Almost Killed

When I Was Almost Killed
I was almost killed in one of these,
a Talbot Sunbeam.
The white car in the picture.
I was hit on the side you can see.
An old man pulled out and hit me there.
I was actually increasing speed and not going slow,
45mph not 30.
Or I’d have gone right into him.
Not him hitting my left side.
In England we drive on the left.
And sit on right of the car.
So I was ok but shaken and in shock.
Was in 1991.
He caught my car on passenger door and rear wheel.
The car was thrust onto two wheels.
I felt it become airborne on the right side.
Started to spin/skid to other side of the road,
into oncoming traffic.
I corrected immediately.
My dad taught me how to correct a skid.
Can’t think how to tell you.
Steer the opposite way?
I did it.
And was unscathed.
I’d of either been hurt if I’d been going slower,
30mph,
as he would have pulled out from a side street and I’d of hit him.
I was doing 45.
I increased speed to race a bit before I turned
into a street on the opposite side of the road.
Call it playing about as I was on my own.
The couple of seconds I speeded up took me 2 metres
forward of the impact point so he hit me,
not me him.
Of course,
50 percent more speed increased my velocity.
His side impact onto me sent me skidding so I had to correct,
by reflex.
Or I’d die.
I was on the verge of losing control and on the other side of the road.
Lucky for me the other side of the road was clear that time.
The rear wheel rim was fucked,
all bent tho the suspension point was fine.
The tire would be flat too.
Can’t remember.
I drove the car for 3 months with the damage tho.
The left door wouldn’t open due to the crash.
Was all pushed in.
It was an insurance right off.
I still used the car as it drove well and was only damaged on the left side.
I was pulled over by the cops when I was lost in Wales.
I used to drive down each weekend to see a gay friend,
a gal.
I went from Manchester.
The cops were shocked at the damage.
I said its 2 months old.
Drives just fine.
I U-turned on a roundabout and they saw and stopped me.
Told me off!
I said I’m lost.
No satnav back then.
I had many races,
a few bad crashes.
Was always fine.
This crash tho,
when he hit me,
not me hitting another stopped me racing that was it.
Or I’d die...
No the story,
my story,
happened to me in 91
A crash,
all true.
I was gonna beat up the other car driver.
But it was an old man so I left him alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.