Thursday, 6 August 2026

bike choices

Bike Choices
They pester me to buy a bicycle. They all own one. Some of them are quite nifty with good features. I do like them and would get one. The reason I don't get one is due to my situ. I live by the main road. This is busy 24/7. From mopeds to cars to ten wheel trucks. Me on my bike wouldn't fair too well with any of these. Even the smallest moped is faster than me.  Rather than risk an early death I either walk or take the bus. It's safer on my limbs and conscience. Take my friend Archie. He had one of those carbon fiber racing bikes with no brakes. That thing cost a grand! His funeral cost five times that. All because he couldn't stop in time to avoid the milk float that pulled into the road. He was going too fast to avoid it. I miss my friend but question his sanity and lust for speed. He was a racer and had several trophies. The road is different than the track. Death is death however you go. A milk float doing 12 miles per hour cannot avoid a racing bicycle doing forty five. I saw his body. He looked calm. Even if half his chest was crushed. This is why I won't get a bike. Call me old or slow or sensible. My choice is right for me. Archie paid the price for his quest of speed. I salute him for dying for his cause but this is real life. And life to me matters. Does it to you? What bike will you buy?  Please be careful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.