Tuesday 10 July 2018

FADE INTO FOCUS, FOCUS INTO FADE old poems


CHOICE

Fate brought me into the world, Destiny moulded me, Chance brought me to places and Life made me who I am. I chose to become a certain person, to make decisions that affect me and other people, Sometimes I’m right, sometimes I’m wrong. I know my responsibility in the world, my world, to do my best and not to be one of the crowd. In effect, I have my choice to do it my way and I don’t take this for granted: it is my choice in my life.



VETERAN

Veteran of the ancient war, before my time, tell me, what was it like? I see pictures in the history books, black and white photographs. Did the enemy scream when you bayoneted them and cry for their mothers? Did you see your mates beg for mercy as their blood ran away from shattered legs? Now sixty years later I see you, frail and withered, lost in your memories as you wait to die and to join your comrades. You, a prisoner of old age, never of the enemy, in an old person’s home. You had your years and gave them to your country, boy made man on the battlefield, you live in the past, in battles and of foreign names and people long gone. For my generation’s freedom you fought, now a new world, one you can never know but we are truly grateful and freedom is ours, by an old man’s actions, young soldier in battle, sixty years ago.

BLACK MASS

My mind tumbles to the infinite depths, to rock bottom, the weight of the world crushing my world down. Feelings of being lost and alone at my world’s end. To myself I turn to ask the one question: Why do I feel like this? I have no answer, only silence and despair, bringing me down, a head full of confusing evil thoughts, to end this pain and to be free of this world. Would that be so wrong, to do that, the ultimate sin? I have so much to live for but that is hard to see now with my mind clouded, in deep despair.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.